What Causes Stretch Marks, Aside from Pregnancy?
Probably one of the most annoying skin problems of them all, stretch marks can be the bane of your existence, especially if you’re someone who takes good care of their skin.
Though typically associated with pregnancy, these lines can occur due to a number of reasons. And while for some, these lines can disappear with time, for others, they can become permanent.
The Gist on Stretch Marks
Stretch marks typically appear as parallel lines on the skin. They can be of different colors and textures and can range from a subtle, light-gray mark to purple and bright pink lightning-bolt like streaks. And when you touch one, you can feel the ridges and indentations.
For many, stretch marks are just marks though, and do not cause any itching. But for others, they can cause soreness, itchiness and tightness as well.
Stretch marks usually appear on the stomach. However, they can also appear on your upper arms, thighs, breasts, buttocks and around the joints as well.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
With stretch marks that are caused by pregnancy, these usually occur because your skin stretches. The gradual stretching and tugging causes your skin to develop these marks as it tries to cope.
Other reasons that cause stretch marks though include:
- An increase in our cortisone level — Produced by the adrenal glands, an increase of this particular hormone can cause your skin to lose its elasticity
- Rapid weight gain and loss — Teenagers often get stretch marks around their thighs and on forearms as well as their chest because of rapid weight loss and gain, or due to growth spurts
- Certain lotions, pills and corticosteroid cream — any product that inhibits your skin’s ability to stretch properly can cause stretch marks
- Exercise – Rapid increase in muscle tissue can also cause these marks, mostly around the biceps, shoulders and thighs
Who Can Get Stretch Marks?
Women have a higher chance of developing stretch marks, mainly because of their hormones and chances at pregnancy. Other causes include:
- Being Caucasian or light-skinned
- Having a genetic history for stretch marks
- Delivering large, healthy babies or twins
- Being overweight or obese
Prevent Stretch Marks?
One of the basic methods of preventing stretch marks is by keeping your skin moisturized. Dry skin, especially during pregnancy or after some activity that causes your skin to stretch can cause those marks to develop.
However, this might not help if you already have significant marks on your body. In this case, you’ll need proper treatment.
Treating Stretch Marks in Calgary, Alberta
Refirm is a leading clinic in Calgary offers a variety of treatments — mainly laser therapies — for treating stretch marks. In addition, we also provide regenerative therapy as well as facial enhancement treatments.
Whatever skin issue you have, you can be sure that we’ll treat it right.
Book an appointment and allow us to help you make your skin smoother and more youthful!